Courier ‘Network’ Return Journey alerts

Steve, thanks for quoting on a couple of our jobs recently. There was nothing at all wrong with your pricing, we just prefer where possible not to have transits running about doing small van work for us. Also in both cases a regular supplier called to offer to do the jobs for us – suppliers who have helped us out in the past always get priority with us, partly because I feel we owe it to them and partly because they’re a ‘known quantity’, we know what to expect from them. I believe many ‘Network’ members operate in a similar manner to us

That may make new members feel that the system doesn’t work, or that there aren’t any jobs, but that isn’t the case at all. Every ‘trusted supplier’ that we use today was once a new ‘Network’ member and had to go through the same thing as you’re going through now. I suspect that’s why ‘Network’ has such a long minimum subscription period – to allow you to work out how to use the site to your best advantage without you just giving up after a couple of months.

As for the posting of RJs FROM your area, I personally wouldn’t put an Essex to Scotland job on unless I was going to Scotland. If I’m looking through the Directory for your area I can see your ‘See My Journeys’ button lit up and it looks to me as if you’re loaded to go to Glasgow. So I’m not going to ring you with a Basildon to Plymouth. Posting the local RJ is (I think) fine, but I’d suggest that you set the start and end points to where you are and put something in the notes like ‘Available now and ready to go anywhere’ and make sure you list it as an open-ended RJ.

Posted under Courier and Freight Exchanges, Courier Basics, Uncategorized

Posted by Alec at 3:02 pm, June 26, 2008

1. Alec added on  June 26th, 2008 at 15:12

Steve, you do realise that you get the alerts from your area without entering an RJ don’t you?

2. Alec added on  June 26th, 2008 at 15:56

I’d guess that you’ve received an alert for a job in the wrong direction because you’ve got the open-ended return option selected – it just gives you any jobs that are on the route, wherever they’re going. That’s what it’s meant to do (I think).

3. Alec added on  June 26th, 2008 at 16:14

It’s not ‘flawed’ Steve, that’s just not how it’s meant to work.

You already get the alerts from your home area, there’s no need to post any RJs if your empty at base. Some people however like to post a (in your case) ‘Basildon to Basildon’ RJ with a note explaining that they’re sat there, willing, fuelled up and ready to go anywhere. There’s no real need to do that but it might bring you the odd call from people going through the RJ pages.

On another point, can you look at your ‘Manage Your Journeys’ page (on the ‘Return Journeys’ dropdown menu) and tell me how many active RJs you’ve got – ie not marked as sold, or whatever you do with RJs. This is nothing to do with your problem, I think I’ve found a ‘Network’ bug.

4. Alec added on  June 26th, 2008 at 16:18

Forget that last bit – I’ve just verified it another way.

5. Alec added on  June 26th, 2008 at 16:46

Mark, don’t assume that people are working just because their ‘View My Journeys’ button is lit. It’s lit for GTMs as well, and for future journeys, and it stays lit and still shows your RJ even after you’ve cancelled it in ‘Manage Your Journeys’.