Anyone got a RECENT van V5 (log book)

Do they still have the GVW of the vehicle on them?

And while I’m on the subject, if anyone’s got a recent V5 for a Berlingo/Combo etc sized van, are they described as ‘car derived van’ or ‘panel van’ or something else?

Posted under Vans

Posted by Alec at 10:30 am, April 5, 2008

1. Alec added on  April 4th, 2008 at 11:15

Revenue weight? That’s a new one on me. Is it the same as the GVW? Somewhere between 2040kg and 2340kg for a Connect?

The other thing was to settle an argument about speed limits. The exemption to the goods vehicle speed limits only applies to car derived vans up to 2000kg gvw – the argument was that a Berlingo isn’t a car-derived van because it’s not based on a car. If they’re described as a CDV on the V5 then i think that arguments blown out of the water. Thanks.

2. Alec added on  April 4th, 2008 at 11:39

That wouldn’t be much of a defence if the V5 said Panel Van though.

3. Alec added on  April 5th, 2008 at 11:48

So is the Berlingo a “car derived van up to 2000kg gvw” and subject to car speed limits, or a Panel Van and subject to goods vehicle speed limits?

I bet you can’t find anyone to give you an authoritative answer.

4. Alec added on  April 5th, 2008 at 13:29

That’s what I thought Keith, but Mark’s Doblo is a Panel Van and it’s under 2000kg.

Anyway, the law that sets the speed limits for the different vehicle categories is the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. It says: ” “car-derived van” means a goods vehicle which is constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle and which has a maximum laden weight not exceeding 2 tonnes;”

A Berlingo or a Doblo isn’t “constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle” so they can’t be car derived vans for the purposes of speed limits. It looks like I lost my argument there.

It also looks like the police don’t know the law on this point because I’ve never heard of anyone being prosecuted for driving a Berlingo at 70mph on a dual carriageway. Scudos, Connects & Caddies but never a Berlingo.

It would be fairly ridiculous if you were prosecuted for speeding in a Berlingo while you were being overtaken by a Combo that wasn’t breaking the law.

5. Alec added on  April 5th, 2008 at 13:32

Presumably they’ve got the Revenue Weight on though Ali?

I’ve not seen a V5 for a van since I998 so I’ve no idea what’s on them.

6. Alec added on  April 5th, 2008 at 14:47

That’s a van-derived car, not a car-derived van. That could be how they get round it though.