Van Overloading

To the person who was asking me about the probable outcome – I’m told that there’s every chance that there won’t be a prosecution for a first offence. Don’t quote me on that though.

Posted under Legal Issues, Vans

Posted by Alec at 1:54 pm, March 19, 2007

1. Alec added on  March 19th, 2007 at 14:05

It was about 11% over I think.

2. Alec added on  March 19th, 2007 at 14:14

VOSA information sheet.

“If a vehicle is found to be overloaded both the driver and operator could be prosecuted or cautioned. Legislation imposes fines of up to £5,000 for each offence. That’s each overloaded axle plus any overloading on the total weight. Also, if a vehicle is dangerously overloaded the driver could face a charge of Dangerous Driving which carries a maximum penalty of two years in prison.”

3. Alec added on  March 19th, 2007 at 14:18

I’ve no idea and I wouldn’t expect them to respond on here for obvious reasons. Would it make a difference to the likely outcome?

4. Alec added on  March 19th, 2007 at 14:24

I’ll bow to your experience of getting caught Mark.

I did tell them that I wasn’t the the right person to be asking about this one.

5. Alec added on  March 19th, 2007 at 17:40

Now check the axle weights Gary. There’s a VERY small margin for error on axle weights on most small vans and it’s virtually impossible to distribute the weight evenly enough to make use of all the theoretical payload.

6. Alec added on  March 20th, 2007 at 12:47

The axle weight is absolutely relevant Martin.

In the case of Gary’s van it has a GVW of 1990kg and a theoretical payload of 784kg. The gross axle weights are 1000kg (front) and 1080kg (rear). That gives only a 90kg margin for error for badly distributed loads if you intend to use the whole payload.

So running at full weight you could very easily be over weight on either of the axles, depending on your load distribution. There’s not a lot of space to play with on a small van and the usual thing to do is to push the weight as far forward as possible. I’ve done that with a 450kg pallet in a van with a theoretical 600kg payload and still spent the whole journey staring into the sky.

7. Alec added on  March 20th, 2007 at 13:19

Well yes, axle weights have no relevance to the GVW and their weights added together will ALWAYS total more than the GVW otherwise there’d be no tolerance at all for weight distribution.

My point was that if you’re running at anything like the maximum GVW in a small van then you can almost guarantee that you’ll be overweight on one of your axles – normally the back one. A six inch shift in the position of the load could make the difference between being legal or being overweight. The margin for error is so small that the only way you could ever be sure of being legal on both axles at maximum GVW would be to actually go along to a weighbridge and go through the full weighing routine.