O licence or not

Only if the unladen weight of the trailer is over 1020kg. You’ll need a tacho though.

Posted under Drivers' Hours, Legal Issues, Towing, Vans

Posted by Alec at 5:48 pm, November 13, 2006

3 Comments so far

  1. So you do your 10 hours on the tacho, park the trailer up at base and go off on another job?

    What happens when you get pulled and they examine your discs and notice that you’d already done your 10 hours 4 hours earlier?

  2. You’re subject to UK domestic drivers’ hours anyway – 10 hours per day driving maximum. If you do any EC rules driving at all then you’re subject to the daily rest requirements on that day and the weekly rest requirements for that week but you’re only subject to EC driving hours restrictions when you’re actually driving under EC rules.

  3. Alec added on  January 24th, 2012 at 09:51

    *NOTE: From December 4th 2011 ‘small trailers’ towed by a vehicle under 3.5 tonnes and used for hire or reward are no longer exempt from operator licensing. Therefore, if your vehicle combination is used for carrying other people‚Äôs goods for hire or reward (e.g. couriers and hauliers) and the maximum allowable weight of your vehicle and trailer together exceed 3,500kg then you need a standard O Licence.

Leave a Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)