Sprinter and trailer issues

James, if those are the figures that apply to your van then you’re correct, as long as it’s a braked trailer, which it should be at that weight. You could even carry a bit less in the van and a bit more on the trailer – although I believe it’s best to keep as much of the total weight in the van as possible when towing.

If the trailer has an unladen weight of over 1020kg then you’ll need an O licence. You’ll need a tacho anyway but i think you knew that.

Posted under Towing

Posted by Alec at 2:00 pm, September 9, 2006

4 Comments so far

  1. Almost – if the trailer weighs 1021kg unladen the total payload is less and you need a cpc and o-licence…

    But unless it’s a very specialist trailer they tend to built with the law in mind and they tend to be made as light as possible anyway to allow more payload.

    Obviously you’ll still need to stick to the individual weight limits (and axle limits) for both the trailer and the van.

  2. The trailer in that link would be OK without an O licence, but the heavier-duty one that you’ve ordered might not be – there’s only about 50kg margin. I’d check with the manufacturers before they make it if I was you.

    You could do with checking my understanding of the law as well – I don’t run anything that tows anything, but I’m fairly certain my understanding is correct.

  3. Unless things have changed VERY recently it’s ‘small trailers’ you’re looking for. A small trailer is 1020kg or less unladen and can be disregarded when totalling up the GVM of a combination with regard to the 3500kg limit for operator licencing.

    Wait until Monday and speak to Mark at Intransit 0121 458 3777 or Gary at GBS 07836 217404. Both run Sprinter/trailer combos and should be up to speed on any recent law changes.

  4. Alec added on  January 24th, 2012 at 09:51

    *NOTE: From December 4th 2011 ‘small trailers’ towed by a vehicle under 3.5 tonnes and used for hire or reward are no longer exempt from operator licensing. Therefore, if your vehicle combination is used for carrying other people‚Äôs goods for hire or reward (e.g. couriers and hauliers) and the maximum allowable weight of your vehicle and van together exceed 3,500kg then you need a standard O Licence.

Leave a Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)




Next Post:
Previous Post: